- Follow FOR BOYS AND GIRLS on WordPress.com
MY SPECIAL STUDENTS
MY STUDENTS 2
June 2018 M T W T F S S « May 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
- ANNUAL REPORT
- BEST FRIEND
- BLACK AND WHITE
- BODY AND SOUL
- CUTTING CLASSES
- FIRE AND ICE
- FREE ENGLISH TESTS
- HIGH CLASS
- I AM
- I DREAM
- INTERPRETATION OF DREAMS
- IQ TESTS
- LORD OF THE FLIES
- LOVE STORY
- MAGIC NONSENSE
- MODERN POETRY
- MOTHER AND CHILD
- NONSENSE VERSE
- NONSENSICAL VERSE
- PLANE CRASH
- REAL THINGS
- SACRED GEOMETRY
- SCIENCE FICTION
- SIGMUND FREUD
- SUBLIMINAL ADVERTISING
- THE BOOK IS ALIVE
- TRUE FRIENDS
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Cigars June 20, 2018Cigars, tightly rolled bundles of cured tobacco, were being smoked by the Mayans as early as the 10th century. Spanish travelers to the Americas brought cigars back to Spain in the 16th century, and their popularity then spread throughout Europe. The word cigar, therefore, derives from the Mayan word for tobacco. What did US President John F. Kennedy reporte […]
- Black Tea June 19, 2018Excluding water, tea is the most widely consumed drink on the planet, drunk either hot or cold by half the world's population. The vast majority of tea sold in the West is black tea, made from fermented leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant. Generally stronger in flavor and more caffeinated than the green and oolong varieties, black tea retains its flav […]
- Cyberpunk June 18, 2018Cyberpunk is a subgenre of science fiction involving futuristic, dystopian, computer-based societies. Borrowing elements from hard-boiled detective novels, film noir, and postmodern prose, cyberpunk details the often nihilistic underground of electronic societies marked by rapid technological change. Typically set in the near future, cyberpunk plots often ce […]
- Cigars June 20, 2018
- Gangster Benjamin "Bugsy" Siegel Murdered (1947) June 20, 2018Infamous gangster Bugsy Siegel began his criminal career extorting peddlers in New York City and soon graduated to bootlegging, gambling schemes, and contract killing. In 1937, he was sent to develop rackets on the West Coast, which he did with much success. In 1945, he began building the Flamingo Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas. Originally budgeted at $1.5 mi […]
- Mexican Emperor Maximilian I Executed by Firing Squad (1867) June 19, 2018In the 1860s, France sought to establish an empire in Mexico. Ferdinand Maximilian, an Austrian navy chief and member of the Habsburg dynasty, accepted Napoleon III's offer of the throne, naively believing that the Mexicans had voted him their king. In reality, Maximilian's only support came from the French army, and the empire was doomed. In 1866, […]
- Mona Mahmudnizhad and Nine Other Baha'i Women Are Hanged in Iran (1983) June 18, 2018Prior to the 1979 Iranian revolution, the approximately 1 million Iranian Baha'is had generally prospered, despite widespread societal discrimination. Under the Iranian Islamic republic, which regards the religion as heresy, Baha'i was banned, Baha'i property was confiscated, thousands were imprisoned, and several hundred were executed. Among […]
- Gangster Benjamin "Bugsy" Siegel Murdered (1947) June 20, 2018
- Chester Burton "Chet" Atkins, Mister Guitar (1924) June 20, 2018Atkins got his first guitar by making a trade with his brother, and it was arguably the best deal he ever made. Although he struggled with shyness and suffered from severe asthma—he had to sleep sitting up and often fell asleep still holding his guitar—he became an accomplished guitarist and went on to release several hit records, develop a signature line of […]
- Wallis Simpson (1896) June 19, 2018Simpson was an American socialite for whom English King Edward VIII voluntarily abdicated the throne. Their relationship caused a furor in England because the Church of England at the time did not allow people with living ex-spouses to marry, and, as king, Edward was also head of the church. Simpson's two ex-husbands were still alive when she married Ed […]
- Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna of Russia (1901) June 18, 2018The youngest daughter of Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, Anastasia was allegedly murdered at age 17 along with her parents and siblings during the Russian Revolution. After the family's execution, rumors swirled that Anastasia had managed to survive. The appearance of several imposters further fueled these rumors, as did the discovery of her family's b […]
- Chester Burton "Chet" Atkins, Mister Guitar (1924) June 20, 2018
- Eritrean Martyrs' Day June 20, 2018Following its defeat of Ethiopian government forces in 1991 to establish national independence, Eritrea instituted an official holiday to pay tribute to those who died for the country's liberation. Many Eritreans observe Martyrs' Day by filing into mass mourning processions that conclude at the "Martyrs' Graveyards" located throughou […]
- National Oldtime Fiddlers' Contest and Festival June 19, 2018The National Oldtime Fiddlers' Contest and Festival is a major musical event in the United States, held over the third full week of June in Weiser, Idaho, where fiddling was first heard in 1863. In 1963, in conjunction with Idaho's Centennial, the competition officially became the National Oldtime Fiddlers' Contest. Awards are given for the na […]
- Seychelles National Day June 18, 2018The Republic of Seychelles was first settled by the French in 1770; in 1814, it was ceded to Britain under the Treaty of Paris. Seychelles gained independence from Britain in 1976 and became a republic within the commonwealth. On June 18, 1993, a new constitution was approved, and the first multiparty elections were held in July. June 18th is known as Nation […]
- Eritrean Martyrs' Day June 20, 2018
- debonair June 20, 2018Definition: (adjective) Having a sophisticated charm. Synonyms: suave. Usage: Like other girls she had her dreams of a possible Prince Charming, young and handsome and debonair. Discuss
- frugal June 19, 2018Definition: (adjective) Practicing or marked by economy, as in the expenditure of money or the use of material resources. Synonyms: sparing, stinting, economical. Usage: My frugal mother refused to buy me new clothing and instead dressed me in my older sister's hand-me-downs.
- terrify June 18, 2018Definition: (verb) To inspire fear or dread in; frighten greatly. Synonyms: terrorize. Usage: The thought of a slow, painful death terrifies me.
- debonair June 20, 2018
- Climate change killed the aliens, and it might kill us too, new simulation suggests June 20, 2018Did climate change already kill all the aliens we've been searching for? According to astrophysicist Adam Frank, it's certainly a possibility — and whether humans are doomed to the same fate may already be out of our hands. Frank, a professor of physics and ... Discuss
- Doctor Tracks Down Beachfront Bargain Hunt Contestant After Spotting Thyroid Tumor On Her Neck June 19, 2018A surgeon may have saved a woman’s life when he noticed a cancerous tumor on her neck as he watched her on T.V. New York-based ear, nose and throat surgeon Dr. Erich Voigt was watching Beachfront Bargain Hunt when he spotted a shadowy lump on the neck of one ...
- Scientists Check Einstein's Predictions Using Earth Itself As The Laboratory June 18, 2018The modern description of gravity, Albert Einstein's general relativity, is one of the most successful and best-tested theories we have. The core of that theory is a set of principles that say basically "physics is physics, wherever you are and no ...
- Climate change killed the aliens, and it might kill us too, new simulation suggests June 20, 2018
- Ralph Waldo Emerson June 20, 2018Traveling is a fool's paradise. Our first journeys discover to us the indifference of places. Discuss
- H.G. Wells June 19, 2018There is—though I do not know how there is or why there is—a sense of infinite peace and protection in the glittering hosts of heaven.
- Oscar Wilde June 18, 2018Gossip is charming! History is merely gossip. But scandal is gossip made tedious by morality.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson June 20, 2018
- Are you excited about the World Cup? June 14, 2018We hear from football fans and those who are not so keen on the tournament.
- Talking to machines June 7, 2018How is the way we interact with technology affecting the type of language we use?
- Risk June 7, 2018Are you a risk taker? Knowing your risk type can help people make decisions for you.
- Women in space May 24, 2018Could the first person on Mars be a woman?
- Internet - good or bad? April 26, 2018Rob and Neil discuss some of the advantages and drawbacks of going online
- Are you excited about the World Cup? June 14, 2018