- Follow FOR BOYS AND GIRLS on WordPress.com
MY SPECIAL STUDENTS
MY STUDENTS 2
September 2019 M T W T F S S « May 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
- ANNUAL REPORT
- BEST FRIEND
- BLACK AND WHITE
- BODY AND SOUL
- CUTTING CLASSES
- FIRE AND ICE
- FREE ENGLISH TESTS
- HIGH CLASS
- I AM
- I DREAM
- INTERPRETATION OF DREAMS
- IQ TESTS
- LORD OF THE FLIES
- LOVE STORY
- MAGIC NONSENSE
- MODERN POETRY
- MOTHER AND CHILD
- NONSENSE VERSE
- NONSENSICAL VERSE
- PLANE CRASH
- REAL THINGS
- SACRED GEOMETRY
- SCIENCE FICTION
- SIGMUND FREUD
- SUBLIMINAL ADVERTISING
- THE BOOK IS ALIVE
- TRUE FRIENDS
- These Funny Words From “Friends” Will Be There For You September 20, 2019The post These Funny Words From “Friends” Will Be There For You appeared first on Everything After Z by Dictionary.com.Alexa Lemoine
- How To Talk Like A Pirate September 18, 2019The post How To Talk Like A Pirate appeared first on Everything After Z by Dictionary.com.Lorry Fleming
- Words To Know For High School September 18, 2019The post Words To Know For High School appeared first on Everything After Z by Dictionary.com.Alexa Lemoine
- How Well Do You Know The Language Of The US Constitution? September 16, 2019The post How Well Do You Know The Language Of The US Constitution? appeared first on Everything After Z by Dictionary.com.Alexa Lemoine
- Expand Your Vocabulary With This Week’s Quiz! September 15, 2019September 9–September 15, 2019 Hoping to hone your Ciceronian tone? Hop into this week’s Word of the Day Quiz! Don’t forget to tell us your favorite word from this week and share it with your friends on Facebook and Twitter! The post Expand Your Vocabulary With This Week’s Quiz! appeared first on Everything After Z by Dictionary.com.Nick Koch
- What Does “Resilience” Mean, And Why Was It Trending? September 13, 2019All politics, as they say, is personal. That truism definitely rang, well, true in the closing question of the third Democratic debate in Houston, Texas, Thursday, September 12, 2019. One of the moderators, ABC’s George Stephanopoulos, asked the ten candidates on “the quality of resilience.” He went on: Every president confronts crises, defeats, and mistakes […]John Kelly
- Why Is Friday The 13th Unlucky? September 12, 2019Can you honestly say that you’ve never felt a slight pang of concern when waking up on the morning of Friday the 13th? You’re not alone. Maybe it’s triskaidekaphobia, the fear of the number 13, that gets you down. But, if 13s don’t bother you unless it’s Friday, you might be susceptible to what’s sometimes known as paraskevidekatriaphobia or friggatriskaidek […]Dictionary.com
- These Japanese Slang Terms Are “Maji” Amazing September 11, 2019The post These Japanese Slang Terms Are “Maji” Amazing appeared first on Everything After Z by Dictionary.com.Minrose Straussman
- What Are The Right Words To Use When Talking About Suicide September 9, 2019Warning: This article deals with the sensitive topic of suicide. If you (or someone you know) need support, call the toll-free, 24/7 National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. You can also text HOME to 741741 for free, which offers 24/7 support from the Crisis Text Line. According to the Centers for Disease Control, in 2016 suicide became the se […]Ashley Austrew
- Embosom Your Inner Word Nerd With This Week’s Quiz! September 8, 2019September 2–September 8, 2019 Your chirography means nothing to us. Now take this week’s Word of the Day Quiz! Don’t forget to tell us your favorite word from this week and share it with your friends on Facebook and Twitter! The post Embosom Your Inner Word Nerd With This Week’s Quiz! appeared first on Everything After Z by Dictionary.com.Nick Koch
- These Funny Words From “Friends” Will Be There For You September 20, 2019
- The Cullinan Diamond September 20, 2019The Cullinan diamond, the largest gem diamond ever discovered, weighed about 3,106 carats when it was found in 1905 in Transvaal, South Africa. Named for the mine’s owner, Thomas Cullinan, the gem was purchased by the Transvaal government and presented to King Edward VII. It was reportedly sent to England by regular parcel post while a decoy was transported […]
- Green Flash September 19, 2019A green flash is a refractive phenomenon in which the top edge of the setting—or, less frequently, rising—sun momentarily turns emerald green. It is usually seen over a low distant horizon, such as that of the ocean or a prairie, when the sky is clear. It occurs primarily because the atmosphere acts like a weak prism, refracting sunlight and separating it in […]
- The Siddhis September 18, 2019Siddhi is a Sanskrit term that can be translated as "perfection," "attainment," or "success." It can be any unusual capability and, in some schools of Hinduism and Buddhism, refers to the acquisition of supernatural powers such as clairvoyance, levitation, and bilocation. Some of the many other siddhis include the ability to mat […]
- The Cullinan Diamond September 20, 2019
- Saladin Begins Siege of Jerusalem (1187) September 20, 2019Jerusalem was conquered by the Crusaders in 1099 during the First Crusade and served as the capital of the Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem for most of the 12th century, but it was besieged and captured by Saladin, the Kurdish Muslim warrior and Ayyubid Sultan of Egypt, after his decisive victory at Hattin in 1187. The Crusaders negotiated a surrender, and the two […]
- Bruno Hauptmann Arrested for Murder of Charles Lindbergh, Jr. (1934) September 19, 2019In one of America's most notorious crimes, the infant son of famed aviator Charles Lindbergh and his wife Anne Morrow Lindbergh was kidnapped in 1932. Although a ransom of $50,000 for his release was paid, the child's body was found murdered. Two years later, Hauptmann was found with part of the ransom. In a sensational trial, he was convicted of m […]
- Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) Is Formed (1998) September 18, 2019ICANN is a nonprofit corporation that manages domain name systems, the assignment of IP addresses and protocol parameters, and root server systems. The original mandate for ICANN came from a US government proposal to privatize the management of Internet names and addresses to allow for the development of competition and to facilitate global participation in […]
- Saladin Begins Siege of Jerusalem (1187) September 20, 2019
- James Dewar (1842) September 20, 2019Dewar was a British chemist and physicist best known for his work on the properties of matter at very low temperatures and the liquefaction of gases. In the course of his work, he liquefied and solidified hydrogen and invented the Dewar flask. Used for storing liquefied gases, his Dewar flask—a double-walled flask with an insulating vacuum between the inner […]
- "Mama" Cass Elliot (1941) September 19, 2019Elliot was an American singer and member of the vocal group The Mamas & the Papas. After the group broke up, she had a successful solo career, releasing several studio albums. In 1974, after a series of performances at the London Palladium, Elliot was found dead in an apartment loaned to her by singer Harry Nilsson—the same apartment where drummer Keith […]
- Samuel Johnson (1709) September 18, 2019Johnson was a British man of letters and one of the outstanding figures of 18th-century England. In 1755, after eight years of work, he published his monumental Dictionary of the English Language, considered the first great English dictionary. His aphorisms helped make him one of the most frequently quoted English writers. His biography, written by his conte […]
- James Dewar (1842) September 20, 2019
- Constitution Week (Mesa, Arizona) September 20, 2019Mesa, Arizona, has consistently celebrated the Congressionally established Constitution Week for over 30 years. Held at the Mesa Amphitheater, the celebration includes a school band concert, a Constitution Quiz, a Boy Scouts parade of flags, the high school color guard ROTC, and live music. Educational activities include information about the lives and activ […]
- Fiestas Patrias September 19, 2019Fiestas Patrias is the national two-day holiday in Chile celebrating Independence Day, September 18, and Army Day, September 19. In the days preceding the holiday, fondas (fairs) pop up throughout Chile, and it is a popular time for Chilean rodeo. Huasos (cowboys) compete against one another by attempting to pin a calf against the wall of the medialuna, or a […]
- Almabtrieb September 18, 2019The Return from the Mountain Pasture is an autumn festival that takes place around Salzburg, Austria, and other areas in the German Alps on the day that the cattle are driven down from the mountain pastures to their winter shelter. The cattle are decorated with flowers, and the Sennerinnen, or herding girls, who lead them wear traditional costumes that vary […]
- Constitution Week (Mesa, Arizona) September 20, 2019
- anthropomorphous September 20, 2019Definition: (adjective) Suggesting human characteristics for animals or inanimate things. Synonyms: humanlike. Usage: My comic strip features an anthropomorphous frog that walks upright, wears a bowtie and vest, and speaks only in rhyming couplets. Discuss
- chasten September 19, 2019Definition: (verb) Censure severely. Synonyms: castigate, chastise, objurgate, correct. Usage: His mother will undoubtedly chasten him for those insensitive remarks.
- counterbalance September 18, 2019Definition: (verb) Oppose and mitigate the effects of by contrary actions. Synonyms: countervail, neutralize, counteract. Usage: That gentleman grew every day fonder of little Tommy, as if he intended to counterbalance his severity to the father with … affection towards the son.
- anthropomorphous September 20, 2019
- In the News December 13, 2018The news feed is no longer available.
- In the News December 13, 2018
- Francis Bacon September 20, 2019Virtue is like a rich stone,—best plain set. Discuss
- George Eliot September 19, 2019As to people saying a few idle words about us, we must not mind that, any more than the old church-steeple minds the rooks cawing about it.
- George Eliot September 18, 2019Do we not all agree to call rapid thought and noble impulse by the name of inspiration?
- Francis Bacon September 20, 2019
- Faking it: Computers that spot a real smile September 19, 2019We discuss if computers can recognise human emotions from the expressions on our face.
- Is tourism harmful? September 12, 2019Everyone loves a holiday, but what damage can tourists do? Sam and Rob find out.
- The future of food September 5, 2019Climate change means we might have to change our diets. Let's tuck into some vocabulary.
- Environmentally friendly living August 29, 2019How can you change the way you live to help the environment? Sam and Neil discuss.
- Does your age affect your political views? August 22, 2019Sam and Neil discuss politics and teach you related vocabulary.
- Internet - good or bad? April 26, 2018Rob and Neil discuss some of the advantages and drawbacks of going online
- Faking it: Computers that spot a real smile September 19, 2019