- Follow FOR BOYS AND GIRLS on WordPress.com
MY SPECIAL STUDENTS
MY STUDENTS 2
October 2018 M T W T F S S « May 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
- ANNUAL REPORT
- BEST FRIEND
- BLACK AND WHITE
- BODY AND SOUL
- CUTTING CLASSES
- FIRE AND ICE
- FREE ENGLISH TESTS
- HIGH CLASS
- I AM
- I DREAM
- INTERPRETATION OF DREAMS
- IQ TESTS
- LORD OF THE FLIES
- LOVE STORY
- MAGIC NONSENSE
- MODERN POETRY
- MOTHER AND CHILD
- NONSENSE VERSE
- NONSENSICAL VERSE
- PLANE CRASH
- REAL THINGS
- SACRED GEOMETRY
- SCIENCE FICTION
- SIGMUND FREUD
- SUBLIMINAL ADVERTISING
- THE BOOK IS ALIVE
- TRUE FRIENDS
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Bombardier Beetles October 22, 2018Named for their explosive defense mechanism, bombardier beetles forcefully expel an acrid, volatile fluid from their abdomens when threatened. The ejection of this fluid, a mixture of two chemicals that boil upon contact and vaporize into a jet of gas that can kill insects and small creatures, is accompanied by a loud cracking sound. Where can bombardier bee […]
- Knowth October 21, 2018Knowth is the site of a Neolithic passage grave in the valley of Ireland's River Boyne. Built approximately 5,000 years ago, the site consists of a large mound containing two passages leading to burial chambers. This is surrounded by 17 smaller satellite tombs. Knowth contains more than a third of all the megalithic art in Western Europe, including hund […]
- Water Intoxication October 20, 2018Water intoxication is a potentially life-threatening condition caused by excessive ingestion of water. Too much water disturbs the body's electrolyte balance, which in turn interferes with brain function and can lead to seizures, coma, and even death. Water intoxication is common in psychiatric patients as well as infants living in poverty whose parents […]
- Bombardier Beetles October 22, 2018
- The Metropolitan Opera House Opens with a Performance of October 22, 2018New York City's Metropolitan Opera House is the leading US opera company. It opened in 1883 after having been founded by a group of millionaires who had failed to get boxes at the prestigious and exclusive Academy of Music. The "Met" soon outshined its rival and is now considered one of the world's premier opera stages. Originally located […]
- The Valentich Disappearance (1978) October 21, 2018On October 21, 1978, 20-year-old Frederick Valentich disappeared while piloting a Cessna light aircraft over Australia. He was supposed to land at King Island, pick up a few friends, and return to Moorabbin Airport, but during his flight, he reported to air traffic control that a strange aircraft was flying close above him. No trace of Valentich or his aircr […]
- The Anglo-American Convention (1818) October 20, 2018The Anglo-American Convention was a treaty signed in 1818 between the US and UK resolving their standing border issues and allowing for joint rights to the Oregon Country. Though it marked the beginning of improved relations between the two countries, tensions remained over the shared territory in Oregon. The British-chartered Hudson's Bay Company had a […]
- The Metropolitan Opera House Opens with a Performance of October 22, 2018
- Sarah Bernhardt (1844) October 22, 2018The illegitimate child of a courtesan, Bernhardt was encouraged to pursue a theatrical career by one of her mother's lovers. Her acting teachers did not consider her a particularly promising student, but they turned out to be sorely mistaken; Bernhardt went on to become the premier romantic and tragic actress of her day, touring all over the world durin […]
- Ronald McNair (1950) October 21, 2018A nationally recognized US physicist, accomplished saxophonist, and black belt in karate, McNair was selected to join NASA's astronaut training program in 1978. Six years later, aboard the space shuttle Challenger, he became the second African American in space. His next trip into orbit was to take place on the same shuttle on January 28, 1986, and McNa […]
- Arthur Rimbaud (1854) October 20, 2018Rimbaud may have put down his pen when he was just 19 to lead an international vagabond life as a merchant and trader, but in his few years as a poet, the precocious young Frenchman managed to create a literary legacy that would have a lasting influence on the symbolists and subsequent modern poets. He put his verbal virtuosity on display in works like […]
- Sarah Bernhardt (1844) October 22, 2018
- Jidai Matsuri October 22, 2018Jidai Matsuri is one of the three great festivals of Kyoto, Japan, commemorating the founding of the city as capital in the year 794. A procession of more than 2,000 costumed people depict the epochs or ages in Kyoto's history. They parade from the Imperial Palace to the Heian Shrine, which was built in the 18th century as a dedication to the emperors w […]
- Pilgrimage of Our Lady of Valme October 21, 2018The Romeriá (pilgrimage) of Our Lady of Valme involves a cross-country pilgrimage. The image of Our Lady of Valme is kept in the parish church of Dos Hermanas, but on this day she is carried in an elaborate procession to the shrine of Valme, on a hill overlooking Seville, Spain. The cart bearing the statue of the Virgin Mary is drawn by oxen with gilded horn […]
- Georgia Peanut Festival October 20, 2018A harvest festival paying tribute to Georgia's top crop is held in Sylvester, the Peanut Capital of the World—more peanuts are produced in the region around Sylvester than anywhere else in the state. This festival, which comes at the end of the peanut harvest time, began in 1964. Events of the festival include a beauty pageant to choose a Little Miss Pe […]
- Jidai Matsuri October 22, 2018
- preceptor October 22, 2018Definition: (noun) Teacher at a university or college (especially at Cambridge or Oxford). Synonyms: don. Usage: Dessalles, the tutor he had brought from Switzerland, was wearing a coat of Russian cut and talking broken Russian to the servants, but was still the same narrowly intelligent, conscientious, and pedantic preceptor. Discuss […]
- effervesce October 21, 2018Definition: (verb) Become bubbly or frothy or foaming. Synonyms: fizz, foam, froth, sparkle. Usage: The champagne effervesced in the glasses.
- chapiter October 20, 2018Definition: (noun) The upper part of a column that supports the entablature. Synonyms: capital, cap. Usage: Scattered throughout the ruins were ornately carved chapiters that had once supported a soaring coliseum.
- preceptor October 22, 2018
- So many people have had their DNA sequenced that they've put other people's privacy in jeopardy October 22, 2018Everyone's DNA sequence is unique. But for those who wish to maintain their genetic privacy, it may not be unique enough. A new study argues that more than half of Americans could be identified by name if all you had to start with was a sample of their ... Discuss
- No one's ever seen a moonmoon, but the internet already loves it October 21, 2018Scientists are exploring the possibility of a smaller moon going around a larger moon, and there are some truly adorable names being kicked around. One name being considered is "moonmoon," according to New Scientist. No known moons have a moonmoon, but Sean ...
- The Moon Eclipsed the Sun. Then the Bees Stopped Buzzing. October 20, 2018Last year's Great American Eclipse drew hundreds of millions of eyes to the sky. But while people across the country “oohed” and “aahed” at the phenomenon, it appears the bees went silent. So found a new study that monitored the acoustic activity of ...
- So many people have had their DNA sequenced that they've put other people's privacy in jeopardy October 22, 2018
- Herman Melville October 22, 2018There is, one knows not what sweet mystery about this sea, whose gently awful stirrings seem to speak of some hidden soul beneath. Discuss
- Jerome K. Jerome October 21, 2018Women ... have more power for good or evil than they dream of.
- Herman Melville October 20, 2018Of all tools used in the shadow of the moon, men are most apt to get out of order.
- Herman Melville October 22, 2018
- What is 'scumbro' fashion? October 19, 2018There's a new look which some people are calling 'scumbro'. But what does is mean?
- Curbing our plastic addiction October 11, 2018Could we live without plastic? Rob and Neil discuss the progress that's being made.
- Describing Generation Z October 4, 2018Have you grown up with social media? You could belong to Generation Z.
- High-vis fashion September 27, 2018How did clothes worn for safety end up on the catwalk?
- Internet - good or bad? April 26, 2018Rob and Neil discuss some of the advantages and drawbacks of going online
- What is 'scumbro' fashion? October 19, 2018